Ever tried finding a document, photo, presentation, or file on your computer…and after exhausting every possible location, come up short? You were positive that you saved it, but you just can’t find it?
It all comes down to how you named your file. If you named your download, image, or document something difficult to remember or reference, the odds of you finding it again are slim. It’s important to name files consistently, in a manner that makes sense to you (and the people that may also need to access and find locate a file).
Here is a list of 5 benefits of using consistent files names for yourself or your whole team:
- Save valuable time spent looking for your files and actually find what you need, when you need it
- Manage version control of files by having a consistent numbering system for updated documents
- Reduce digital clutter when storing electronic files in a clearing labeled way
- Collaborate and share files with team members easily
- Avoid having to start over or replace lost files when you can’t find one
What are your tips? Share your thoughts and leave us a comment.